[DML] Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

[DML] Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

This is pretty amusing. I (Dave) am one of the list moderators and
run the dmcnews.com web page, and Rich is the D-Rex Monster
truck/Monster Garage Hovercraft guy. We both sign posts so I'm a bit
surprised at the question. I guess we don't self-promote enough.

Anyway  - there are TONS of details on this car in the previous
couple of issues of Gullwing Magazine, including lots of pictures.
Also - since the seller (obviously a dealer that's handling the sale
for the owner that I did the work for) ignored my request (and never
responded) to remove our names from the ebay ad, I'll repeat my
concerns here.

I asked them to remove our names because I do not consider the car
a "restoration" in the true sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, it
is a very nice driver-level car, but if you are expecting a
museum/concours quality restoration this isn't it. The frame and
suspension is very solid but needs some cleaning and painting.
There's a chance that some of this was done since the car left here
(about a year ago) but you'll note that the ebay ad has has no
undercarriage pictures. It's in about 98% mechanical shape, when it
left here everything worked and worked well.

The original damage was an electrical fire in the dash. That's what
caused the salvage title. The current owner bought the car at a
salvage auction in 1985 or so. The car has not been out in the
weather since then. The entire interior has been replaced, there is
absolutely no trace that this ever happened either visually or odor
(the fire was in approximatly 1984). There was over $1000 in new
parts (clutch, radiator etc.) added by me, as well as a significant
number of parts including most of the interior/fuel/brake systems
from a pristine donor car that had been rolled in a high-speed
accident (photos on the www.dmcnews.com web page on the tech section
regarding trailing arms, but that's another story).

It's a good car and the price is reasonable. It's also listed on the
dmcnews.com ad page if you'd rather go around ebay.

My only objection to the description is that I thought the condition
was a bit overstated, at least from when it left here. Plus  - they
never asked permission for the reference.

Dave Swingle