[DML] Re: The Door Strut Experiment

I have Grady struts on my doors, and they work perfectly, bring the
doors up all the way winter and summer, no bumps, no tweaking the
torsion bars (tho he did install the struts, as the doors were
sagging when I got the car from the previous owner, and for all I
know he might have adjusted the torsion bars at that time).

Rob also installed new shocks and springs (the lowering kit), and the
improvement in handling is obvious and well worth the money.

He also has replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, steering gear,
right angle drive, front wheel bearings,...  Everything he has done
on the car has been excellent. Wonderful thing, to have him and his
excellent shop available, right down the road here on Long Island.

my wish list:
1. simple and inexpensive way to get some more hp out of those 2.8 liters
2. simple and inexpensive ABS upgrade
3. simple and inexpensive airbag upgrade

Peter Cameron
vin 3579

>All,
>I just had an opportunity to install the Grady struts. My intention was to
>take a few measurements to set a base- line for the test.    After I set my
>torsion bars to the proper "Hang" point, (without struts, about 20 inches
>from sill to door.) I installed the Grady lifts and let them go with just an
>unlatching of the door and no other release assistance. The Grady struts
>raised the doors with such force that the car rocked from side to side
>several times! I actually had to check the mounts to see if they had been
>damaged. I re-adjusted until the door's torsion bars without struts were set
>to a point where they were so slack that they hung with only one inch
>between the sill and the bottom of the door (Almost closed). I let them fly
>and they still flew open with impressive force far greater than I would
>recommend. I observed no "braking action" or deceleration whatsoever. They
>landed hard. Closing them took considerably more force than I recall ever
>using. In addition, I also have the extra weight of the door launcher
>solenoids which is about an 2 extra pounds worth of components which adds
>even more burden when you consider their mounting position relative to the
>cantilever of the door. I would assume that proper torsion adjustment
>compensates for the additional burden but not when they are that slack. I am
>afraid to even try to use the launchers because they'll hit so hard I think
>they'll crack the roof panel if launched simultaneously. Hearing all the
>"they barely lift my door stories" I wasn't expecting this at all. These are
>VERY powerful struts. The most surprising aspect was this first round was
>observed at 68 degrees during the day and again at 39 degrees at night with
>no discernable change. My old struts worked OK during the day with the sun
>beating on it but were nearly worthless below 50 degrees.  I believe I may
>have to re-think the parameters of this test a bit. Stay tuned...
>Rustproof
>Vin 1559
[moderator snip]