Re: [DML] Re: The Door Strut Experiment

Hi, Wanna trade struts? I have a new pr. that won't even come close to breaking your mounts. They are about 3 weeks old from Gradys, I havn't contacted them  about exchange yet, as they are weak and uneven lift. They also have alot of side to side and back and forth play. My old ones don't have the play and I'm told they shoudn't have play.Tried another D owners struts on my car and they worked fine, so I know the tortion bars are set correct. Thanks for you time.

Rustproof <Rustproof@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:All,
I just had an opportunity to install the Grady struts. My intention was to
take a few measurements to set a base- line for the test. After I set my
torsion bars to the proper "Hang" point, (without struts, about 20 inches
from sill to door.) I installed the Grady lifts and let them go with just an
unlatching of the door and no other release assistance. The Grady struts
raised the doors with such force that the car rocked from side to side
several times! I actually had to check the mounts to see if they had been
damaged. I re-adjusted until the door's torsion bars without struts were set
to a point where they were so slack that they hung with only one inch
between the sill and the bottom of the door (Almost closed). I let them fly
and they still flew open with impressive force far greater than I would
recommend. I observed no "braking action" or deceleration whatsoever. They
landed hard. Closing them took considerably more force than I recall ever
using. In addition, I also have the extra weight of the door launcher
solenoids which is about an 2 extra pounds worth of components which adds
even more burden when you consider their mounting position relative to the
cantilever of the door. I would assume that proper torsion adjustment
compensates for the additional burden but not when they are that slack. I am
afraid to even try to use the launchers because they'll hit so hard I think
they'll crack the roof panel if launched simultaneously. Hearing all the
"they barely lift my door stories" I wasn't expecting this at all. These are
VERY powerful struts. The most surprising aspect was this first round was
observed at 68 degrees during the day and again at 39 degrees at night with
no discernable change. My old struts worked OK during the day with the sun
beating on it but were nearly worthless below 50 degrees. I believe I may
have to re-think the parameters of this test a bit. Stay tuned...
Rustproof
Vin 1559
[moderator snip]