[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

>From the description of Woody's original problem it appears to be
related to air bubbles trapped at the thermostat. There is a simple
test to determine if trapped air is the problem.

Do the following start the car and allow it to run at idle speed
until the temperature reaches approximately 210 degrees. That would
place the temperature gauge needle just below the 220 mark. At that
point gun the engine eight to ten times. While the engine continues
to run at idle speed observe the temperature gauge needle. If the
temperature rapidly drops the problem is caused by trapped air at the
thermostat.

I wrote an article on this subject several years ago when I marketed
the "Overheat Protector".

Here is part of what I wrote:

"The location of the DeLorean thermostat creates a situation that
causes air in the coolant lines to collect at the thermostat. This
condition keeps the thermostat closed preventing coolant from
circulating through the radiator. Because the coolant remains cool at
the otterstat the cooling fans will not turn on. If this condition is
unchecked the engine temperature will rise resulting in an overheat
condition.

Before the DeLorean went into production this problem became evident
during test trials. The result was the installation of an air bleed
screw at the top of the thermostat housing. Unfortunately "how to"
information for cooling system bleeding procedures was not included
in either the owners manual or workshop manual. After continuous
reports from dealers and service personal the factory issued Service
Bulletin ST-09-10/82 issued 10/18/82. The procedure is a four step
somewhat complex process and is somewhat lacks certain details that
make it difficult to achieve satisfactory results.

Back in 1986 I realized that many DeLorean owners were experiencing
this problem. This situation combined with the well known cooling fan
electrical problems was putting engines at risk due to overheating. I
decided to research the condition to see if I could find a permanent
fix for the problem. Over the years many people have commented to me
that I had created a great invention when I developed the "Overheat
Protector". In reality it was pretty easy to figure out. The cooling
system was already designed with an air bleed hose for the radiator
and one for the heater core. What was missing was an air bleed hose
for the thermostat. I began my research by simply adding a short
length of hose with two brass fittings that would allow trapped air
at the thermostat to be expelled back to the coolant bottle where the
heater core air bleed hose is located. I installed a prototyped on my
DeLorean and several of my clients DeLorean's. It was not long before
I realized that this modification completely eliminated the trapped
air problem. As a side benefit it completely eliminated the need
to "air bleed" the cooling system for the life of the car."

When I closed my DeLorean business John Hervey at
www.specialtauto.com requested selling the "Overheat Protector" at
his on-line store. You can find it as the "self bleeder" on his
coolant system page.

DMC Joe