[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

As good as the idea of a continuous bleed off the top of the
thermostat housing is it isn't required. If you properly bleed a
"tight" cooling system it just isn't needed. The problem comes when
you either do not properly bleed the car (which for the thermostat is
very easy) or you have leaks in the cooling system that allow air to
enter as the system cools off. From my experience (which isn't as much
as Joe's) the bleeding part is not that difficult but many cars are
not done properly anyway. The BIG problem is too many cars don't have
a tight cooling system. They are still running on many origional hoses
and seals. The systems leak. So instead of "biting the bullet" and
doing what is necessary it is very tempting to add an "Overheat
Protector". IMHO instead of doing the overheat protector do the Master
Water Pump Kit, a new radiator, and a metal header bottle. With an
upgraded fan relay and the relay upgrade kit you will have a
bulletproof cooling system. Of course the overheat protector is a
fraction of the price so people will continue to stick a "band aid" on
the cooling system and think it is fixed. The overheat protector by
itself is not bad, not having a tight cooling system IS. In fact in
this case the overheat protector was not even needed, it turned out to
be a defective thermostat.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757