[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems - still

Check the actual temperature of the motor, maybe the thermostat gauge
is not reading correctly. You can either put a thermometer into the
coolant or use one of the new-fangled infra-red, non-contact
thermometers. Make sure both fans are running in the correct direction
and the fans are securely attached to the shafts of the motors. You
*could* have a stuck thermostat, easily checked by removing it and
running the motor. Bleed the radiator by pressurizing the system and
loosening the small hose on the top right side. Be gentle, it is a
plastic barb on the radiator and can break off easily. Only use 50/50
soft water and permanant-type anti-freeze. DO NOT RUN ONLY ON WATER!
The boiling point is too low and will boil unless you mix anti-freeze
in besides the fact that straight water will freeze. You can use water
to test for leaks but it has no anti-corrosion properties and can
allow electrolisys. Replace the otterstadt switch and seal, don't use
any silicone on it, it will damage the seal. Make sure to use the
metal clip or at least a strap-tie. If the timing is way off it can
also cause the motor to run hot. Make sure the radiator is not clogged
up with leaves, dirt, and debris that would cut airflow. If there is a
license plate on the grill it can block enough air to cause the car to
overheat.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757