[DML] Re: Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."

[DML] Re: Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."

Very common for a factory to outsource finishing work on cars. Many
send their cars to shops to have sunroofs cut in before delivering to
a selling dealer. DMC was going to have all the cars go through Legend
Industries for the turbo install. All these cars would still be
considerd "Production". The fact that the factory did not do all the
work on the production line does not mean the car was not a
"production" car. Another example is the fact that most (if not all)
Deloreans went through QAC. Even that cannot change the status of a
"production" vehicle. The 83's were handbuilt after the factory closed
down. Again these are still considered "production". At this point the
only way you can say a Delorean is NOT a production car is if it has a
vin below 500. Some cars with vin's above 500 may have special status
but I do not believe you can call them "Pre-Production". Some buyers
may call their 83 Delorean "RARE" in an advervetisment to sell their
car but in reality they are no rarer than any other Delorean. Some may
consider a low vin (above 500) special because it was origionally
assigned to a company offical. This does not make it "pre-production".
This may make it special because of it's history (provanance) but it
does not make it "pre-production". IMHO the only way you can make the
claim preproduction is if it has a vin # lower than 500 or some other
special designation that is not a vin # above 500. Pilot 25 is a
pre-production car and rightly so. As boring as this may be to some it
may mean a lot of $$$ to others. RHD cars are special all by
themselves. There are not many and the conversion is custom and one-of
which is expensive.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757