Re: [DML] Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."

Re: [DML] Factory RHD cars -or- "Dan is Bored."

Hi Robert, I feel the need to jump in here, not to correct but to add
some info.

>HOWEVER, these vehicles, were converted to right hand drive, whilst
>their legal ownership was retained by DMCL, and BEFORE they were
>released from the factory for public sale/distribution. Sure, the
>work was farmed out to Wooler Hodec, for the conversion process.

<snip>

There were in fact three DeLoreans converted at the factory. A lot of
people would argue with this, but we also know -why- a lot of people
don't know about these three cars. They are not in the "run" of
wooler-hodec right-handers which carry 12171-12181 May'82 vin plates.
The car we have in the workshop at the moment is vin# 5565 and is an
october 81 car with all body panels and underbody conforming to this
time except the doors which have plastic guides and 05/82 -written- in
them. This is backwards from the wooler-hodec cars which have early
underbodies and doors but late panels. There are two basic differences
across all the right-handers done at the time, which relates to the
brakes. Some have the original servo setup with the servo/m/c assembly
on the end of an extension down the right front corner

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/eurospec/big_pics/mcylinder01.jpg

Others have the m/c directly on the end of the pedal, and two remote
servos, one for the front and one for the rear. I beleive the three
factory converted cars all have the twin-servo setup, and I know of one
Wooler-hodec car with the same. The three factory cars are most
identifiable by the aerial being on the roof.

All of those that I have seen have overcome some major problems in the
conversion process - namely the fitting of the vent box to the left,
which is extremely difficult, and the fabrication of steering rack
parts, which although very similar to the Lotur Esprit, and therefore
interchangable with a right-hand esprit rack (you'd think), isn't close
enough to allow direct swap-out.

>Since there are no Production Specifications that these cars must
>adhere to, that allows for variances such aerials, foglights, marker
>light colors/placement/absence, etc... The same goes for the "Factory
>Euro-Spec", LHD cars.

There is actually only one left-hand drive car that has this setup.
(rear lights, front indicators and 140mph speedo). Read more here

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/eurospec/eurospec.html

Martin