[DML] Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused. (Alex)

[DML] Questions Re: B280 .... Im so confused. (Alex)

The PRV is a very good engine, grossly underestimated on this side of
the ocean. Douvrin made nearly 1,000,000 units over a 25 year
production run -- they certainly couldn't have done so with a flawed
design! While it is a relatively rare power plant in the US, the PRV
was used extensively in Europe and Australia, and even made its way
into the racing circuit.

But...

When the PRV was adapted for K Jetronic fuel injection, a couple of
wrinkles were introduced:
- Some original design components became very difficult to access
- New components were added, which at 13-30 years of age may not work
as reliably as when they left the factory

That is why I opted to convert mine to carburetion. Ease of access was
the single biggest factor. I do not have all weekend to devote to a
tune up (typical for K Jetronic equipped engines). Reliability was
also high on my list. See Message #48334 for comparative advantages of
carburation as I see them.

About half a dozen other owners have also expressed an interest in
experimenting with carburetion. Doing so would be low cost and
non-permanent (which begs the question: why is it so controversial?).
But carbureted intake manifolds are very hard to come by. That is why
I am trying to adapt more common LH Jetronic manifolds (used on 1989-
Volvos and perhaps Chrysler Eagles).

BTW: my DeLorean already uses a Volvo A Series manifold (on a Peugeot
numbered block, circa 1985), adapted to accept a Motorcraft carburetor.

Back to your original question: notice that DMC Joe and I are not
disagreeing about the quality of PRV's. We are merely disagreeing
about *WHEN* that quality was introduced. Certainly by the time of
DeLorean production those engines were capable of hundreds of
thousands of miles of propulsion.

Bill Robertson