Re: [DML] More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)

Re: [DML] More problems found (was Piston rings + sleeves)

In my experience I too find that timing does not usually change much
on most cars. What I DO find is timing that was not set properly or a
stuck mechanical advance or a non-functioning vacuum advance. It is
just good practice when you do a tune-up to check the base timing and
make sure the mechanical AND vacuum advance is functioning properly.
Most manuals ask that you check the timing and not try to adjust it if
it is off only 1 or 2 degreees. You can't do all of the other
adjustments correctly if the base timing is not at least close to 13
degrees and the power and economy will be terrible. The days of
setting cars up by sound and feel is long gone. You now have to have a
timing light and tachometer. An air-fuel meter is also real nice to
have. A scope is even better. A scanner is essential for all modern
cars (not Deloreans).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757