Heads up on oil pressure sender cross parts reference

Heads up on oil pressure sender cross parts reference

I had a fun experience this week trying to find an oil pressure
sender replacement locally. On the cross-parts reference, a Volvo
part is listed. So I called a Volvo dealership and asked them to
send me the part, well, they said it was replaced with a newer part
and could overnight it to me for free, so I purchased it for about
$30. It wasn't even close. Wrong size threads, and had a spring
loaded piston on it. So, I would like to warn everyone else that the
part number in the cross reference list is wrong and won't thread
into your block.

I called up about 4 Volvo dealerships here in Central PA asking for
help, and when I mentioned it was for a PRV-6, the answer was
either "that engine was used in boats," or "i have no idea." I would
have thought Volvo dealership mechanics would have known a thing or
two about the engine??? This was kind of scary, considering I may
need to call one of these places in the future, should my D ever need
some serious engine work. I'll deal with that when it comes I
guess.

Anyway, I looked back in the backissues and found where Marty Maier
specified the Autozone part, Wells PS-136. I was able to cross
reference this part at NAPA and the price was around $27 with tax.
It looks almost exactly like the original, with the exception that
there is a spade connector at the top instead of a bolt and nut.

Matt

P.S. Does anyone have any good tips for restoring the black plastic
valences? Mine are a little scratched up.