Re: Repairs

A locksmith CAN remove a broken bit of key without taking the lock
apart. He uses a tool called a key extactor which is a thin wire with
a reverse hook bent on the end. It is slipped up and over the ridges
of the piece of key and "hooked" onto the high ridge. By carefully
lifting the pins as you guide the broken bit out it can be done. It
takes a little experience and "finesse". The moral here is not to use
a worn or "pot metal" key. Get a good blank from brass and if it is
worn get another made BEFORE this happens.
The ignition wires can be done without completely removing the
air/fuel mixture unit but again it takes a little experience. For a
novice the better advice is to remove it and check EVERYTHING while
you do it, it is much easier this way. A shop with more experience can
take some shortcuts that a beginner could not do. This is done
primaraly to save the customer time which is money. Since an owner
working on his own car isn't concerned about time it is always better
to avoid the "shortcuts".
The old injectors can be cleaned and saved so don't throw them away.
You will probably need new seals though.
To check the angle drive remove the front left wheel and turn the
square shaft in the center of the spindle. You should see the inside
piece of the angle drive turn as you turn the square shaft. Check if
the support bracket is missing for the lower cable. If it is missing
or broken you will need to order that too. While you are at the angle
drive loosen it so you can turn it over, remove the small screw on it
and lubricate it. You loosen it with a BIG wrench. Sometimes they are
VERY tight.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757