Re: PRV oil distribution problems

The heads of later renditions of the Volvo version of the V6
incorporated a cast "well" which held a pool of oil for the cam lobes
to dip into. I believe even the later CIS (K-Jet) engines had this
modification. Earlier versions relied solely on whatever oil squirted
out from the cam bearings. Dopey. Another source of poor oiling to
the valve gear came from worn timing chains and guides/tensioners.
When the plunger on the hydraulic tensioners emerge far enough they
uncover a hole in them which allows oil destined for the valve train
to leak away straight back into the oil pan. Silly idea with no
apparent purpose. And, as I've mentioned prior, I'm highly suspicious
about the quality of the oil pump relief valve springs in the early
engines. Not to mention these engines' tendancy for oil sludging. I
scraped a pile of goo a good inch and half thick out the oil pan of
mine. Sludge in the oil passageways tends to restrict oil movement,
so resulting in even less oil to the valve train. Use good oil,
change it frequently. I know the insides of my engine are spotless so
I'll be using an engine cleaner/flusher compound every so often from
now on. Not a good idea with old, sludgy engines though. The flusher
will loosen the crud in the oil pan which will then block the oil
pickup screen and starve the engine of oil. Bad.

Cheers
Steve Abbott

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Some people claim Volvo "fixed" reported oil passage problems with
> B28, but one of my factory manuals covering both blocks -- which
goes
> into great detail of differences in pistons, valves, and camshafts -
-
> makes no mention of any difference in engine oiling system. I think
> passages are the same. I also think many people who experience
> lubrication problems simply failed to change their oil regularly.
>
> Was recent discussion in another DeLo Group about oil changes. Some
> owners felt 7 quart capacity enabled longer than normal interval
> between changes. Others felt oil changes were only mileage
dependent,
> not age dependent (can leave oil in sparsely driven car for years).
> strongly disagree about both. Old oil, or heavily used oil, does not
> flow well, can become "clumpy", and is reportedly acidic. Not only
is
> an oil change one of the cheapest and easiest procedures to perform,
> but I think is key to engine longevity.
>
> My change interval on all cars is 2,500 miles BTW. Have none logging
> less than that at least every 9 months, so I don't worry about
> seasonal oil changes.
>
> Am indeed very happy with my French PRV, but don't think Swedish
> rendition is as bad as that Brickboard quote made it seem. You'll
> notice on those Volvo bulletin boards that owners either love
B27/B28
> and get hundreds of thousands of miles from them, or hate them and
> lament the day they bought a 60 series (no one noncommittal in the
> middle). I suspect difference is as simple as routine maintenance...
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rbrogren@xxxx wrote:
> > Volvo ended up screwing the oil system and therefore the Volvo PRV
> V6 which
> > can be found in the DeLorean (it has a Renault transmission
however)
> is not
> > exactly the most durable thing around. How about the French
versions
> then? They
> > are the B20's of V6 engines, the blocks are virtually
indestructible