Re: PRV oil distribution problems

There are two reasons oil has to be changed. It either has too high a
content of particles, dirt and metal, or the additives are worn out,
broken down. Both reasons are dependant on the kind of usage. Better
oil can go for longer periods of time but oil is cheap so in general
it is always better to change often with cheaper oil. Not CHEAP oil,
just not the most expensive synthetic you can find, a good premium
brand oil. Always change the filter at every oil change too. NEVER
OVERFILL. Read the owner's manual for the correct specifacations
required of the oil, it matters. The wrong spec and you CAN wear out a
camshaft prematurely. I have seen cars go just fine with changing the
oil every 5,000 miles and I have seen motors worn out even with
changes every 2,000 miles. A lot has to do with the way you use the
car and the TYPE of oil used. In general I recomend changing the oil
in the Deloreans once a year. That is WAY over what is called for but
you have to consider that you cannot go by mileage when a car is not
regularly used. Most are used less than 2,500 because of insurance
reasons and many don't even get that. Considering the cost of
ownership doing 1 oil change a year is very reasonable. Just remember
that every other year you MUST also flush the brake fluid. Doing this
and yor PRV will last a very long time.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757