Disputing the $25,0000 rule

Ive been meaning to post this for awhile now. Ive been looking for
the "right" car for something like 3 years of actual active
searching. I finally bought my car 3 months ago, its an August 81
with a black interior, gas flap, grooves and a 5 speed with 89 miles
and the original NCT's. I went through hell to get it, and it almost
didnt happen. Anyway, my point....the seller was asking $32,000. I
finally after much pleading bought the car for $25,000. I had it
trailered to PJ Grady's (I live in NY) were i spent close to $5,000
it making the car utterly flawless.All the updates, recalls,
Zillas,lowered the suspension, tuneup, belts, wires, hoses
etc...When i brought the car there he said it was very close to
being concours worthy, after it left his shop Rob said it was
definitely a contender and as close to a 10 as he has seen. He also
said that I paid a fair price for the car(the car belonged to an old
man who bought it for his grandson as an investment towards his
education,he passed away and his daughter needed the $$$ but was
reluctant to giveaway her fathers prized possesion). Which brings me
to the $25,000 rule...I find it hard to believe that a person would
be likely to give away a car theyve been caring for, for the last
20+++ years and all these cars do need some TLC especially after
being "mothballed" for 2 decades, so how is the $25,000 rule
(guideline) still accurate?? BTW, I really shopped around and am
very mechanically inclined and knowledgeble and ive seen many
$15,000 cars, in comparison to mine and other concours cars they are
lightyears apart. Are we to assume that the values a rising? because
I had a wicked car to start with and still spent real money.