Re: [DML] Suspension Options

I've driven Bill Robertson's car which has cut springs, and I cannot tell a difference good or bad in the cars handling or ride. His car was probably lowered about 1.5" in the front, and his stance is pretty much identical to the PJ Grady lowering springs.

I don't know what exactly you're after in your suspension swap, whether you just want a lowered stance, better handling, or a combination of both. I've driven cars that have been restored by DMC-Houston and PJ Grady, both outfitted with their suspension upgrade packages- including lowering springs and shocks. Both cars handle pretty much the same. They both have a softer than stock ride, but handle marginally better than stock too. I think either kit is worth the money after driving both. I personally like the stance of Grady's kit the best, because I don't think the rear of the DeLo needs to be lowered. But I've heard Rob has quit selling the shocks because of a price increase. So that may play into your final decision.

Now that I've put in a positive or at least neutral plug for spring cutting, I've got to put in a negative one as well. My car has the "chop and swap" method on it. The ride suffers from it, and the handling much more so. I don't feel confident throwing the car into a fast corner like I did my old DeLo. I LOVE the stance the car has though. It's probably about 3" lower than stock in front, and 1"-2" lower in the rear. It gives the car a really agressive look... but you pay the price for the look. I think the tires may rub while going over a sizeable bump while cornering as well. Just thought I'd share my experiences for those thinking about the chop & swap.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>