RE: [DML] Miles Per Gallon and Trip Computer

RE: [DML] Miles Per Gallon and Trip Computer

 Hey Doc,

Sounds like an interesting project, I'm gonna through my 2cents
into the ring.

You intend to have this installed right in your D, correct ..
I'd be hesitant to go to a mini-ITX PC .. You'll have a number of issues
with power supply etc. .. For about the same price as the 7" LCD
monitor, you can probably get a new Jornada (okay, they're called iPaq's
now)

The Jornada 680 uses the Hitachi SH3 processor and only runs as
133Mhz .. I have a iPaq 3760 which is at 266Mhz and my boss recently
bought a iPaq 1940 at 400Mhz

That said, I think you could squeeze the required performance
from your Jornada, first RUN , don't walk, RUN, away from any flavor of
VB ... Your getting data from the Dataq via the Serial Port, you need a
lot lower level of access to it to get any level of performance. Try
eMbedded VC++, you'll always probably want to take a look at your
sampling rate for this.

Or .. You can combine the two ideas into one ... Ditch the vga
idean .. Hide the miniITX pc in the D and plumb it all correctly to the
Dataq, power etc. etc. AND get a little BlueTooth receiver/transmitter
for it (and your Jornada), and voila, the PC does all the number
crunching, but transimits, cordlessly, the display data.

Imagine a convoy of D's with this, open up the BlueTooth access,
and everyone could watch everyone else's stats!

Sounds like a great project idea, good luck with it!

Michael G. Fischer,Senior Developer
Tuboscope Pipeline Services
TIPS - Tuboscope Integrated Pipeline Solutions
Calgary, Alberta Canada