Re: [DML] Re: Clusters

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 grex37@xxxx wrote:

> Speaking of modifying/replacing instrument clusters, would it be
> possible to transfer a digital dash from a different car and make it
> work in a DeLorean (assuming that the size of it is the same)?

#10115 has a Dakota digital dash, as does #16816 (and perhaps others). I
know the owner of 10115 was trying to get someone to swap out a regular
cluster for his digital. I don't know if he ever succeeded.

> I've always been a fan of the digital cluster. Some fords of the late
> 80s also had them. I don't know why car companies stopped using them.

Because you and a haldfull of other people were the only fans. People
prefer to be able to tell things like engine speed and vehicle speed to a
first approximation without having to look away from the road. Digital
gauges make this pretty difficult. Also, digital gauges make it almost
impossible to follow trends without a lot of concentration.

I'm generally in favor of modernizing things, but not just for the sake of
modernizing. In the case of car instrument clusters, most people still
agree analog is the way to go. In fact, these days, most cars' gauges are
analog gauges driven off digital inputs.

-andrew
Houston TX