Re: Delorean Hovercraft on MG (final thoughts)

Re: Delorean Hovercraft on MG (final thoughts)

As you may have expected, the final cut of the Delorean Hovercraft
Monster Garage episode was not what Delorean enthusiasts expected.

Attached is a link to my Discovery Channel online interview which
was done AFTER the build and BEFORE the episode was aired.

The interview explains what was going on behind the scenes and
may help some Delorean enthusiasts, at least for piece of mind.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/pass/weissensel.html

As for the Delorean related details:

- all the panels on the donor car were dented and/or repaired panels
had been swapped with several other donor cars, except the doors
(Don and Dan, thanks for taking the time to do that the day before)

- no VINs were "lost" as a result of this build and the chopped up
underbody, chassis, drive-train, etc. were returned to Don afterward
so in effect, no complete Deloreans were destroyed due to the build

- the donor car windshield was already cracked before the build and
DMCH has plenty of other glass pieces, especially for rear quarters
and as most of you already know, DMCH has lots and lots of doors

Of all the things that happened in this build, I did not expect to
get ambushed the way we were on the 1st day at the design meeting.

There was a lot of great Delorean footage that was filmed for the
episode, as well as accurate fact tidbits (Monster Garage Factiods),
all of which were NOT USED in this episode. I was surprised that
they used more good Delorean footage in the Backyard Monsters
episode, and that was only background footage. It's amazing the
differences from what one producer puts together to another one.

I know a lot of people on this list are passionate about Deloreans,
so seeing anything Delorean related being destroyed is difficult,
but please keep it all in perspective. A show like this comes along
very infrequently and will have almost no impact on Delorean supply
when compared to Deloreans that are destroyed in accidents or good,
complete Deloreans that are parted out only for financial gain.

As for DML posts about MG referencing extreme customized Deloreans,
I think most people dream about their ideal Delorean being more than
a stock Delorean. The Delorean is all about Living the Dream, so
making the dream a reality is the next step. Keep the dream alive.

Later,
Rich W.