Re: Delorean Hovercraft on MG (final thoughts)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@xxxx> wrote:
> As you may have expected, the final cut of the Delorean Hovercraft
> Monster Garage episode was not what Delorean enthusiasts expected.
<SNIP>

That certainly is putting it lightly...

Myself, I'm not happy at all with the Monster Garage episode, as
anyone could probably have guessed, if they've ever read my thoughts
on parting out a car. Let alone destroying one on purpose. But, I was
hesitant to post. As I imagined, many other people here do feel the
same, and did express their own opinions and thoughts. And I didn't
want to include a "me too" posting. And, I figured that you yourself
would post, and I first wanted to get your thoughts, and opinions on
the events recorded on the show, Rich. But there is somthing else here
that no one else has mentioned, and well get to that in a sec.

It's interesting that this show started a small debate about modifying
cars, and I'd like to touch on that right now. I have to draw the
line, and say that customizing, and this show are FAR from each other;
they're two totally different, and completely unrelated subjects.
Customization means simply changing, or modifying the cosmetics, and
certain mechanical functions, that typicly cover vehicle accessories
(non-drivetrain, nor electrical wiring) of a vehicle, to an extent of
where the base fuction remains the same. While personal "tastes" may
play a roll in what we consider appropriate, and what is not, that
doesn't change the fact that the car is still a DeLorean, although,
not a "stock" one. Modifying however, would go so far as to include
changes to mechanical operation (i.e. engine/transaxle swap), yet the
function of the vehicle still remains the same, and it is still the
same vehicle as when it started, in as the vehicle is still
roadworthy, per DOT standards. Anything else would have to be
considered an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) or a "kit car" that is simply
based off of a DeLorean.

Now with that out of the way, let's move on.

As far as Monster Garage goes, I have never been a fan. I don't like
the show. There are many cars out there that I am neutral about, some
I dislike, and others that are flat out POS's to me, that I would
never consider owning. However, that doesn't mean that I'm ok with
someone destroying them on TV. (even H.B. Halicki films make me
cringe). So to see another DeLorean go thru this, was honestly sickening.

Believe me, I can understand how you can take recorded footage for a
show, and edit things together to represent how events have occured,
to get the reaction that you want. From the show itself, yes, it is
indeed quite evident that all of you worked quite hard, and put forth
a great effort. Plus, the in the interview that you gave the link to,
it really does clarify things, such as the main difficulty of not
having the hovercraft expert that you were really relying on to give a
good amount of guidance on the project.

I understand that the show is based upon "Shock Value" to get a
reaction from the audience. That is after all what the intent to keep
people watching. But this show is quite different from some of the
others that I've seen/heard of. In this episode, we don't just have
annonymous people trashing, and destroying a car. We have DeLorean
people doing it. To me, the car was not just dismantled and cut. The
vehicle was not respected at all, and I don't mean by the comments
Jessie, or the the narrator made. The same exact people that we expect
to help keep the marque alive, to protect our vehicles destroyed one
of our own. It wasn't enough that the car had to be ripped apart, but
once the panels were removed, they we're purposefully smashed to do
even further damage. Now if we have people who represent a service
center, a possible future service center, and a DeLorean owner, what
does that say about the DeLorean? Are our cars really that terrible
that even the people whom are supposed to care the most about
preserving them view them as disposable, and don't care if they're
destroyed? Never mind value, but respect alone. What kind of message
does this send to others who are not involved in DeLoreans about how
even those most involved feel about their cars?

Another aspect is how you described that the destruction of the car,
and the parts involved are inconsequential, since after all, they're
all in good supply. That really hasn't been a concern of anyone here,
but it does raise a question for me. Many people on the list have said
that if it is not economicly feasable to restore a car, that we should
simply part it out, that other's could benefit from it. However, from
your description, and maybe I'm wrong here, but you were able to take
parts, and actually assemble a car which was then restorable, but
decided to destroy it? How does that not mean that no DeLoreans were
destroyed in the process?

Now I'm not attacking you, Rich, nor anyone else on the show. But I've
ALWAYS been a firm supporter of buying parts from DeLorean venders so
that we can keep up our support network, and continue with parts
development. But by supporting venders, is this what we can expect?
Venders who we support, using profits from our purchases to destroy
the same cars they're supposed to be helping, for half-rate shows on
cable TV?

Exposure for our cars, and owners is good. But this show has really
set things back. Even I myself have recived a few negative comments
from coworkers, and elsewhere. No one whom I've encountered has
actually liked the show, and the main question that I get is why the
hell would you guys want to do that to a DeLorean in the first place?
Which not even I can answer...

It doesn't matter that shows like this come along "infrequently". This
is one opprotunity for "exposure" that should have been passed up. And
like I say, I'm not posting to try and attack, but what possible
benefit was there to gain by taking on this "project"? And more
importantly, what was there to loose by simply declining for a
DeLorean not to participate?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"