Re: Bad Experience with Original Tires

Since the age question on original DeLorean tires has come up. I would like
to share my personal experience with the group. I bought my DeLorean (#5830) in
1989 from the original owner with 13,000 miles on it. The car had always been
stored indoors and only driven occasionally. The original tires were still on
the car and they looked brand new. In December 1992 (mileage was 16,000+) my
wife was driving the DeLorean on I-295 in Jacksonville, Florida at about 65
mph. Suddenly and without warning, the left rear tire blew out. Fortunately, she
was able to maintain control of the vehicle and bring it to a safe stop on
the shoulder of the highway. I happened to be following her at the time in
another vehicle and saw the tire blow. Examination of the tire disclosed that a
sizable portion of the outside sidewall had blown out of the tire.

Since the tire blew for no apparent reason, I contacted Goodyear and
eventually spoke with someone in their engineering department. I was told even though
the tires had very little tread wear, they were eleven years old at the time
of the failure, and that time takes its toll on tire composition. I was also
told that exposure to light hastens the deterioration of the tire material, but
in no case would he recommend using tires over ten years old on any vehicle
that is driven at highway speeds.

I replaced the original tires with Goodyear Aquatreads in 1992. I now have
21,000 miles on these tires, and I plan to replace them in the near future.

Brian McCabe & Harvey (5830)
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida