Re: [DML] ODD vs EVEN Fire

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 doctorDHD@xxxx wrote:

> I know this has been talked about before but I can't find it... What is
> the difference between Odd and Even fire?

With odd fire, the cylinders fire in pairs, the two cylinders in the same
"length-wise" position firing in rapid succession, then a pause, then two
more, then another pause, then the last two. With even fire, the
cylinders all fire individually and are distributed around the engine in
an order which minimizes vibration and noise.

Generally odd-fire engines have more low-end torque, but even-fire engines
run more smoothly. There's a big difference in the sound and feel, but
not that much in the performance.

There are a lot more even fire engines around because most people value
noise and smoothness over torque, but odd fire engines are still popular
in places- the Viper uses an odd fire engine (but of course with five
groups of cylinders instead of three :) )