State Inspection

I just had my car inspected today by a State of New Jersey inspection
station. They are being operated by a private company under contract
by the State. New Jersey is 1 of only 2 states that has a "hybrid"
system ie: you can go to a "state" inspection station, or a PIF
(private inspection facility) aka a certified gas station. The
inspectors argued over who was going to get the chance to "do" the
car. They couldn't find the horn, gas tank, catalytic converter etc.
They won't let you near the car, sending you to a little shelter at
the far end while they get to play with your car. I stayed close so I
could watch the antics. I had requested the "Low Mileage Exemption"
which means if you use the car less than 10,000 in 2 years you only
get emission tested by the tailpipe at idle, not on the dyno. It's not
that I was worried about passing, I don't like the idea of them
running the car on a dyno. These people (inspectors) are not car
people and I am always worried about the way they handle the cars.
Anyway everything was alright until the end when they tested the gas
tank cap. The computer failed it. The last time I was inspected 2
years ago they had trouble finding the right adapter and eventually
passed me. This year they failed me! I went to the the manager and
they found in the listing for Delorean an * by [82 Delorean Gas Cap].
In effect it meant that they cannot fail the car for the gas cap! They
removed the reject sticker and replaced the inspection sticker with a
new Pass sticker. I have applied for Collector Status. I haven't got
it yet but it exempts you from inspection. Actually they still inspect
it for mileage, insurance, and age. When it gets to be 25 years old
you can get Historic plates and not deal with inspection anymore. For
anyone subject to inspections in their state try to be prepared and
know the rules in your state that you are subject to.
David Teitelbaum