From: Joe Angell [mailto:jangell@xxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 2:05 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Cooling fans and the ignition

I have a curious problem with my DeLorean:

Let's say I take the car out for the day. During my trip it gets hot
enough that the cooling fans come on. At this point, if you turn the
car off and then try to turn it back on again, it won't start.
( You mean won't start or won't turn over like the power is gone. ( Were the
fans turned on by the otterstat or the AC compressor.)

I noticed that while the ignition is tripped,

( Does tripped mean on or is the key in the off position.)
everything is off in the car -- except the cooling fans. More often than not, the solution is to pull open the relay compartment and pull out the cooling fan relay; the car starts right up then

( was the AC compressor clutch engauged wnen this happened.)

Anyone else seen this? Shouldn't the fans also be off when you turn
the ignition so the starter can get enough power?

( not if the main relay didn't release or the fan relay is sticking. If so The Fan Fix Dual 2 x 2
will fix it. )

I've also noticed that on the other cars I've owned, the cooling fans
stay on when the car is off if it is still too hot. I notice this does
not happen on the DeLorean; the fans go off with the car. Is this
normal?

( This feature wasn't built into the Delorean. If they were to stay on any
length of time to do anything major good, the coolant would be in the
radiator only because the water pump is no longer turning to circulate the
coolant and the thermostat is closed. Also the newer cooling fans only draw
1/2 the current that the Delorean 28 amps do. It wouldn't take long to draw
a marginal battery down so the car wouldn't start.)

Also, my relays seem to get quite hot, so it looks like I'll be
tightening the sockets this weekend.

( Which relay's are getting hot.)

John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com