Re: [DML] Change Windows In A DeLorean?

Really interesting, Bob. One thing I have learnt though is that scratch-resistant polycarb tends to be less strong and can actually shatter in extreme impacts leaving very sharp edges. The same phenomenon happens when standard polycarb is subjected to UV for along periods (ie left outside). It's all a compromise with polycarb at the end of the day, and you have to live with the fact that anyone with an acrylic spray can will be able to break in within half an hour as polycarb softens with the applications of some solvents.

My knowledge of PC is based on my experiences in Robot Wars/ Battlebots where it's very popular armour. Lexan is just a brand name for polycarbonate - Makrolon and Tuffak are others, all of which available in a collection of grades.

It's amusing to give someone a beautifully clear offcut of polycarb and a huge hammer and challenge them to break it. I've won drinks before betting this!

So, all this poses the question: what DO we do in our DeLoreans to get out in the event of a roll? The side windows are glued to the inside edge of the door frame, and the windscreen is well bonded, and screwed down. Even I'm not thin enough to get out the tollbooth window :-)

Martin

Bob Brandys wrote:

Being a safety engineer, I also pondered this dilemma. First, all race cars have lexan windshield for safety reasons. Second, Lexan is coated with a silicone layer that hardness the surface and makes it scratch resistant. This is opposed to common poly carbonate which is not coated. Third, the size full plastic window is designed where one can pop out the plastic window with less force than it takes to break the glass window,

Bob