Re: The third circle of hell, or should I say "liner"

Re: The third circle of hell, or should I say "liner"

The problem is the seals on the liners get a "set" so once you disturb
the seals on an engine that has been run you will not get a good seal
again. Dirt can also get in there and you may not get the liner
rotated back to exactly the same position. Removing the liners and
REPLACING the seals gets you back to the begining again with new
seals. You would not want to do all this work and have the liners
leak. At this point I would just replace ALL the liner seals, you
might have moved others and not know it. You might just as well do a
complete engine service checking all the bearings and replacing all
the seals, you are not that far away and your labor is cheap and the
parts are not all that expensive. It isn't so much as spilling a
little anti-freeze as much as if the liner seals leak you will get a
continuous leaking of anti-freeze and anti-freeze destroys the oil's
ability to lubricate so you will loose all your bearings, camshafts,
and pistons quicky.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> That's right. Two of my piston liners moved.
>
> Everyone is saying how awful and terrible it is and that my life
will never
> be the same, but for the life of me I can't figure out how so.
>
> The Volvo manual states and I quote:
>
> "Caution! Make sure the cylinder heads do not separate from the
seals at the
> lower seat. If this happens, coolant can flow into the crankcase
> necessitating a complete engine tear-down and cleaning."
>
> When you remove the head, under normal circumstances there would be
coolant
> in the block, which could run into the crank case if they moved. In
my case,
> the block is bone dry, so there was nothing to fall in. I suppose it's a
> possibility that coolant could leak beneath it when the head is on,
but it