Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st ge

Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

Reverse is not syncronized. If you've been idling, clutch out, in
neutral, it will sometimes go easier into reverse if you put it in
some other gear first (Opposite of what Robert said - different
problem = different cure.)

I've been running synthetic (Valvoline) in mine for about 9000 miles,
no problems.

Difficulties getting it into gear are almost 100% clutch-related
issues. This means that you are not releasing the clutch all the way.
How does it feel with the engine OFF?

The only exception to this is on cars that have been stored a very
logn 10 years) time - there are several sliding parts in the trans
that are above the level of the oil, and with lack of use will sieze
up over time. Often they will free up after it gets hot a few times.
Ken K ran into this on one of his restorals - after a few weeks of
driving some gears that were locked out started working.

The roll-pin issue mentioned only impacts one gear, second I believe.
Out of the five transmissions I've opened up, all but one had the
roll pin sheared off.

You aren't by chance still running 21-year-old 90-weight oil are you?
Use a good gear oil - I know some folks that swear by RedLine, but
I've not tried it. (Jim Reeve?).

Overall my guess is that you didn't bleed the line all the way yet,
and still have air in it. And if you are running old oil, you should definitely change it. Also look for a mis-adjusted or worn (aftermarket) adjustable link on the clutch pedal. You didn't mention that.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "michael townsley" <townfour@xxxx>
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > I would also like to know if the tricky reverse problem is
related to
> > problem with the clutch system or something else....has anybody
had
> success
> > using a synthetic lubricant in the transmission?
> >
> > Mike Townsley
>
> I know that the UN1 transaxl lused in the DeLorean (it is NOT an
R25 as
> previously stated. That is mearly the suffix which dictates the
gear set
> contained within in reguards to specific ratios) is fully
synchronized, but I don't
> know if that includes the Reverse gear as well. I've the same thing
not only on
> my DeLorean, but every other manual vehicle that I've ever owned.
Although,