Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st ge

Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "michael townsley" <townfour@xxxx>
wrote:
<SNIP>
> I would also like to know if the tricky reverse problem is related to
> problem with the clutch system or something else....has anybody had
success
> using a synthetic lubricant in the transmission?
>
> Mike Townsley

I know that the UN1 transaxl lused in the DeLorean (it is NOT an R25 as
previously stated. That is mearly the suffix which dictates the gear set
contained within in reguards to specific ratios) is fully synchronized, but I don't
know if that includes the Reverse gear as well. I've the same thing not only on
my DeLorean, but every other manual vehicle that I've ever owned. Although,
I only experience this "problem" when the engine is first started, after the car
has been parked. Not while active, such as when performing parking
manuvers.
If you can't shift into reverse, try putting the car into neutral, and taking your
foot off of the clutch pedal to spin the gears inside. Then try shifting into
reverse to. Pushing the clutch pedal back down of course first! :)

Difficulty shifting into revers isn't really a "safety feature". That is after all the
job of the shifter assembly which forces you to lift up the assmbly before
sliding into position.

As a side note, the Renault/Eagle cars from the mid to late 80's use the UN1
transaxle as well on their 4-cylinder engines. However, they use a ring right
below the shifter knob that you must lift up by pulling it with your finger tips,
instead of pulling up the entire shifter. In addition, these cars use an
ergonomic shifter knob, rather than a ball. And they appear to still have the
same shift pattern embossed into the top. So for everyone out there who want
to have something a bit "diffferent", FYI.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"