Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st ge

Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

I have had the Redline MTL in my car since May, installed at Dave
Single's house. My tranny also was the one that still had the 2nd
gear rollpin still intact (yay!). Before my clutch change/tranny
inspection, I had difficulty shifting into 5th without grinding. The
workaround I had was to engage the clutch after leaving 4th gear, and
disengaging it again when putting it into 5th. Another problem I've
had, which I've also encountered on other DeLoreans, is difficulty
pulling the tranny out of 1st and sometimes 2nd gear when it is
cold. After I had the Redline MTL put in, neither problem has
existed since. However I'm not going to say the MTL was the cure to
all my problems since the original clutch (which made it to 62,000
miles) could have been causing it as well. 4000 miles later on the
new clutch and MTL, its still working like the day we put it all back
together. (yea, I know I'm slacking on the mileage this year).

FYI, I have always had the "reverse gear grinding" issue with my
tranny and still do with the MTL, except when cold. I used to always
put it in 1st gear before going into reverse, but per Dave Single's
suggestion I now use 4th gear, because its a lot quicker to do, and
less wear on the syncros.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960