Re: Stainless Steel Illusion (Second Edition)$$$

Re: Stainless Steel Illusion (Second Edition)$$$

In a message dated 7/26/03 12:06:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
louie@xxxx writes:

> What I *DO* have a problem with is DMC-Houston trying to be the sole
> distributor of the book. It should be available to everyone, everywhere

The book business is pretty ruthless. Any book that isn't selling by the
wagonload is yanked and ends up out of print and in cheapy book outlets, unless
it's a perennial classic. And even then, bookstores want to buy them at half
the cover price to make a profit. The DMCH price is reasonable. For them to
sell it at half price to bookstores seems a money-losing proposition.
BTW, if you give a book, even a brand new one, to a library, they will only
put it out if they think there is interest. Otherwise, straight to the out of
circulation booksale with a 25 cent price tag. My son just picked up a $100.+
organic chemistry book that way.

Wayne
11174