Re: Let's Play "Name That Part!"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> On occasion, I have heard reference made to an "auxiliary air
valve".

> As far apart as I have had my engine, I can't believe I haven't
seen
> this thing, nor can I find it in any parts lists.
>
> I have finally seen one on Ebay for sale, (looks new too). This
thing
> doesn't look familiar to me. It looks like it has an electrical
plug
> on the end as well but I'm not sure.
>
> I must be stupid or something. Can someone please tell me WHERE on
> the engine this thing goes, what it does, what symptoms it causes
if
> it fails, where to get one, and a part number???
>
> Humbly yours,
>
> Rich

What you're looking at there is a primative version of the Idle Speed
Motor. This is a two wire version that only opens, and uses tension
from a spring to hold it closed. Versus the later design that the
DeLorean has, that uses 3 wires that control an actual rotary valve.

Better still, this is a perfect example of why you do NOT buy
aftermarket parts from no-name people on the internet. I've seen door
struts, shock absorbers, fuel distributors, idle speed motors, and a
whole slew of other parts that fit the DeLorean on eBay alone. Even
carparts.com listed incompatable parts for the DeLorean. Everything
from blackout covers for the headlights, to air deflectors for a
moonroof!

A red flag on all of these auctions are their wording that there are
no garantees that the parts will properly fit. Just like this auction
here that says, "We strive to give accurate descriptions.", which is
only a nice way of saying, "We can't promise that it's going to work,
therefore we assume no liability." Another clue is that for all of
the other cars listed that this part will fit, NOT 1 IS A PRV! All
other motors listed are Volvo I-4's.

So unless you know for a fact that it's a genuine DeLorean part, then
avoid these crap eBay auctions. And if for somereason you decide to
use cross-over parts, then buy them from a real auto parts store.
Most of the time, you won't need to pay for S&H if they have a parts
network. And it's S&H that can actually drive up the price of the
item to make it more expensive for you, than if you had just gone to
a retail location to begin with.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"