Re: Wow! Is that a Bricklin?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard" <dmc_driver@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Yep, that's the first question I get most of the time from people
when
> I'm out with my DMC. (The second question is usually "How much is it
> worth?") It's either "Is that a Bricklin?" or "Was it built in Nova
> Scotia?".
<SNIP>
> To be honest, it really doesn't bother me and I'm
> more than happy to answer people's questions about my car, let them
> check it out, sit in it, etc., but I'm just curious as to why I get
> asked that so often. Do any of you have the same thing happen, or
am
> I the only one?
<SNIP>

Don't bother trying to figure people out, 'cause you'll go just as
crazy as they are. I've only had my car mistaken for a Bricklin once.
And once I corrected the guy as to what my car was, he actually got
quite embarassed from his mistake. Otherwise, I've never had that
happen. However, if you want a bit of insight into this, you might
want to take a look around at where you live. I would imagine that in
the Northern part of the US, the Bricklin may have a higher
following, due to the closer proximity of Canada (?). I know that for
a while there, I kept getting people Utah comming up to me, and
stating that they thought the car was built up in Logan. So perhaps
your location has somehow played a roll...

A bigger mystery to me is why some people see my car, and confuse it
with Buddha's belly. "Oh, gee look! It's made out of stainless steel!
Let me just rub the hell out of it with my greasy hands!" >:( Or
worse, when they rap their knuckles on it. I know a car with
stainless steel is quite a novelty (after all, I have one!), but some
people just become like little kids around it. I swear, if I ever get
old, I'm gonna get one of those Biff Tannen canes from BTTF 2, just
to whack people on the head with the next time they mistake my car
for a door!

Fortunetly though, people like that are in the minority. Most are
actually quite respectful, and will even ask permission before
peering inside. So I am quite thankful for that. But why people say
the things they say, or do the things they do (wait, isn't that a
song? :p), who knows. It certainly is interesting though to hear the
broad spectrum of comments though that people get.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"