A/C Failure

This is the second year my A/C has worked great and not required
Freon. While driving down the road on a hot day and thinking how
relieved I was that the leaks had been fixed, the A/c suddenly quit
working. This was not gradual: great cooling one minute, then, when
re-started no a/c.

I discovered that there was not continuity on the low pressure switch.
When I momentarily jumpered the plug to this switch, the compresor
engaged, front fans came on.

Is this likely a bad switch or some other problem?

Thanks in advance. This is a great web site.

Woody