Re: A/C Failure

The most likely cause of your trouble is that you have a leak and the
pressure is too low on the low side for the A/C to run. Most A/C shops
shoot a little freon in and charge the customer a lot and they are
happy for a season but the leak that was never fixed causes the A/C to
die again, a great recipe for repeat business! Do not run the A/C with
the plug jumpered for more than a few seconds to verify that it is
what is holding back the compressor from running. If you run the
system with too low a pressure on the suction side it can go below
atmospheric meaning you could actually suck air and moisture into the
system through the leak! This is very bad because of the moisture and
air. The moisture will corrode the system inside and the air will
raise the high side pressures making the system run very hard and hot.
The best thing you can do is to have the freon recovered, pressure
test and fix the leak or leaks, replace the dryer and orifice tube,
change the oil, vacuum the system and replace the freon. This is
usually way beyond the average garage mechanic, the equipment is
expensive. Since this really shouldn't need to be done often find the
best shop you can and get the work done once but RIGHT! Any GM dealer
should be able to get the parts and do the work right. Don't be afraid
of staying with R-12. Even though it is $60 a pound you only need 2.2
#. The big money will be in the labor, the time to do the work right
is the real expense.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bepositive2000" <BePositive2000@xxxx>