Re: Overheating problem

More than likely you still have air in the system - probably an air
lock at the radiator. A water pump gone bad usually makes noise and
leaks but still functions - unless it froze, and is not turning,
which might explain the belt thing. An alternator lockup will cause
the same belt mess too. Did you check for rotation on the water pump
and alternator?

If all seems ok, I would recommend, when cool, loosening the bleed
hose on the top of the radiator and bleeding off any trapped air in
the radiator. It is on the passenger side - the smaller hose. It is
a little awkward and you will probably have some coolant spill out -
but at least you know the air is out then.

Now that the radiator is full of coolant, check the reservoir again
and fill to the maximum recommended level. Next bleed off any air at
the thermostat housing air-bleed fitting. The extra bleed off kit is
not a necessity in my opinion - the engine bleed is more than enough
to get the air out of a properly functioning system.

Start it up and watch for the recirculation stream in the coolant
bottle. If there is a stream at least the engine is circulating
coolant. As the engine warms monitor the recirculation stream. If it
stops, open the thermostat bleed fitting and let any air escape. I
will often put a hose over the fitting and let it bleed constantly
into a container until I am through with the system. Keep the
coolant tank at the max recommended level.

As the engine continues to warm also monitor the hot side hose for
circulation. As the thermostat starts to opens - the temp gage
should be at the first white mark up the bottom mark - it will start
to get hot indicating circulation. Trapped air, if any will begin to
flow through the system. It may bubble up in the tank - Just keep
plenty of coolant in the tank. If the return hose to the pump is
getting warm at this point you should have enough circulation on the
system that it will bleed off by it self now. Keep the coolant
bottle at the correct level and when the fans come on turn on the
heater - just turn the air dial to vent. That will allow the heater
valve to open and remove any air in the heater. After the fans cycle
off, turn off the engine, be sure the coolant bottle is at the max
level or slightly over and put the cap on. Take it for a test drive.
If nothing internally is wrong you should be good to go.

I would keep a spare belt in the trunk and the tools needed to put
it on. That belt probably came off because of a problem - the
alternator bearing would be my guess.

Harold McElraft - 3354