Re: transmission problems

Likely the roll pin in the transmission on the 1st and 2nd gear
shift fork is broken (103219). This is not that uncommon and is
usually caused by speed shifting into 2nd (or attempting to) or
forcing second because the plastic clutch hydraulic line is in need
of upgrading. The clutch line or a clutch problem can best be
identified by engaging into reverse because it is the one gear that
is not synchronized. If the clutch is not releasing properly reverse
will grind. On hot days the plastic clutch line will usually expand
too much to allow complete release. A properly released clutch will
allow an easy reverse engagement.

I would recommend verifying proper clutch action. If that is ok,
then take out the trans and ship it to a DeLorean repair facility.
There may be a specialty shop around that can handle the work if you
give them the manuals; however, places like DMCH, Grady, Don Steger
and Bauerle know the car inside and out. While you're in there I
would strongly consider doing the clutch and throw out bearing, etc.

Now, if you are careful at feeling the trans shifter you may be able
to "pop" the fork back into place. If you can, it may hold for a
while (depending on how clean the shear was) while you figure out
what to do. If the pin is sheared, the fork has now moved too far
forward on the selector shaft not allowing full travel to engage
second gear. You want to slip the fork back on the shaft into place.

With the car off and brake set, line up like you are going to shift
into first gear - no clutch action - move the shifter like you are
going for first until it stops. Then, with light quick pushes try to
push into first gear. You may feel the fork slip back into place. If
it does go into first gear, try again until you feel the shifter
come back to the normal feel. If you are fortunate enough for the
fork to go back into place, try driving a while being gentle with
second. I drove my D in this condition for over a year before I was
able to get it fixed properly just had to be careful. It popped out
once or twice again but I just slipped it back. The fork might get
scored inside but it will not affect it at repair time.

Harold McElraft - 3354