Re: [DML] No More Steering "Stiction"

The book recommends removal of the rack. However, you can loosen the
boots and let the old grease drain and then refill. This is a
tedious process and not very precise. If you do it this way I would
work with the passenger side only. Open the boot, being careful not
to damage it. Slip it back from the rack housing and let it drain.
Try to measure how much comes out; you want to replace the grease
with at least the same amount and probably an ounce or two more. The
tricky part is getting the new oil into the rack without losing it
all on the ground. The best way is to put the boot back on and put
the new oil in with a pump action gun that has an orifice that will
allow you to pull the boot back at the top and pump the grease in
or; you may be able to find a orifice small enough to insert into
the small end of the boot without damaging it. Obviously the risk is
boot damage. If it breaks, then you faced with replacing the boot. I
have done it both ways. I like full synthetic grease 75w-90 which
seems to be smoother. If you over fill the rack the steering may
become jerky because the air space is gone. Just drain some grease
out and allow some time for the grease level to stabilize.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jwit6@xxxx wrote:
> Just did the same thing and although the stiction is not totally
gone, it is markedly improved. Would still like to replace the oil
though, so I'll ask again.... Is there anyway to drain the oil
without removing the rack. Short of hanging the car by the rear
facia and letting it drip out the pinion cap? :-)
> Thanks,
> Jim 6147
>
> "Rustproof" <Rustproof@xxxx> wrote:
>
> >These DML ?guys sure have lots of good suggestions and advice out
there. So today I got ?a sheet of 22 gauge stainless and cut out a
strip 4.5" X 14" and covered the opening in the frame in front of
the steering rack. This effectively blocks the radiant heat from the
radiator and fans. (not to mention all the rocks and debris) Then I
went for a long hot ride and I'll be damned if the "stiction" wasn't
completely eliminated! What a pleasure to drive again! Thanks to all
of you for the help!