Re: Roof scoop (was: Venting outside air over engine)

Re: Roof scoop (was: Venting outside air over engine)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:56:27 -0000,
"therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> Michael T Twigger <marktwigger@xxxx> wrote:
>> Has anyone tried a roof intake? kinda crazy
> <SNIP>
>
> Roof vent adapted for the DeLorean would look really cool!
> An aftermarket kit is available for the Fiero, and I'm sure
> that it could easily be adapted for the DeLorean. Especially
> if someone was to perhaps intergrate it into the T Panel
> on the roof (kinda like the S7).

IMHO it would look stupid, as the Saleen S7 was designed with
the intake up on top, so it could be moulded to fit.
On a DeLorean, unless you dis something to the doors too,
it would allways look like a hump.
At least then deciding on a name for your car is easy; "Quasimodo" :-D

> It's just that with limited visability thru the rear as it is,
> the pipe would hamper a bit of your vision.

The Saleen doesn't even have an inside rearview mirror!
<http://www.saleen.com/auto/S7/thumbFiles/ext_int/500ext_int/E500_S7front.ht
m>
As you can see it has two small windows behind the occupants, that's it!
When you look at the HUMONGOUS airbox that's not that strange either;
<http://www.saleen.com/auto/S7/thumbFiles/design_eng/500design/M500_S7engine
.htm>

> Maybe if you made the bottom section of the pipe clear...
> But I don't know if that would really even help with the angle
> of the eliptical shaped pipe

Who says the pipe has to be round or oval? IF you make a scoop,
there's no reason why you couldn't make a SQUARED pipe down,
sorta like making a second rear window (or maybe just doing that;
sandwiching two windows, so that in effect you have a "Fishtank"
with no top nor bottom that the air gets sucked / blown through.

But I stand by my first comment; Your DeLorean would become a hunch-back...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002