           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxxxxxx>
           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Adam 16683" <acprice1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Andrei Cular" <acular@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxxxxxx>
           From: "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Gus Schlachter <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "John Hervey" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "thomaspaulmccoy" <thomaspaulmccoy@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: Venting outside air over engine
           From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger@xxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Steering rack stiction
           From: jwit6@xxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:49:00 -0000
   From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Venting outside air over engine

Hot is a relative term. The engine NEEDS to run hot to run
effieciently and all of the internal clearances are set so when the
metal of the motor is at operating temperature everything expands to
just the right size. To really know if you are running hot you need to
measure the temperature. Start off with calibrating the temperature
gauge. If the coolant is 220 then you can guess that the engine is
maybe 10 degrees hotter which would be normal. If it is having
detonation problems the things to look for are:
too lean a fuel mixture
initial timing off
vacuum advance or mechanical advance not working or not working correctly
Too much or too little or the wrong viscosity of oil
Make sure the coolant is a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water
Wrong heat range spark plugs
Loose water pump belt
Bad pressure cap on header bottle
Too low an octane rating of the fuel you use
Finally the cooling system may not be carrying away enough heat from
the engine because of air in the system, blocked hose, bad fan,
plugged up radiater (air OR water side). The motor can live just fine
with the cooling system it has as long as it is working well. The
cooling system needs to be reliable with 15 PSI pressure in it to keep
the coolant from boiling.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

Message: 2