re: Odd side stripes

Interesting thread...I hadn't seent hat auction yet.

Speaking of unusual striping, I knew a fellow who owned VIN 1650, an '81,
about six years ago. It had adhesive (?) stripes that the owner swore were
factory-applied. I place the question mark after the word adhesive because
honestly they were either very thin decals or actually painted on. Anyhow,
they appeared to be painted on, and ran just above the wheel wells down the
natural outer edge of the car, for lack of a better description. A black
line on top and bottom with a grey in the middle and DMC logo on each door.

Anyone know the story on those? I have never seen another car with them and
I've been to several shows and own all the DMC books I know of and still
nothing.