Re: [DML] Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supremeadmiralsenn" <
StadnickAd@xxxx> wrote:
> yes, I know i shouldn't buy a car like this without having some
> knowledge. But i figure between my dad (who restored a 1972 Chevelle
> Malibu) and this list, I can get theinfo i need to fix it. Yes it
> will be time-consuming, yes it will be expensive. I am prepared to
> put in the time and money to get this car back to at least okay
> conditiona nd maybe a full restore a couple years down the line.
> Thanks for all your input, but I just wanted the people with these
> parts that i need to answer, not opinions.

The biggest part about trying to obtain that first DeLorean is always going to
be resistance. That just seems to come with the teritory. If you can make it past
everyone's advice against buying it, then you're half-way there twards owning
the car. If you've got not only the resources to bring the car back, but the
passion and determination to bring it back, then nothing will be able to stop
you from accomplishing your goal!

If you want to get the car, and take a crack at bringing it back, then I say what
the hell, go for it! You only live once, so do it while you're young and
confident. If you get the car and decide that it's not what you wanted, oh well.
At least you can say that you tried, which is more than many others at least get
to say. But if you succeed.... Let me tell you for a fact that it's a feeling of great
pride when you get to show up everyone that said that you couldn't do it, and
you get to prove them wrong. Especially with this car. Many folks out there say
that it can't be done, or it's not worth it. Will you be the one to prove them
wrong?

As for restoring the car, you're going to need 4 things for the DeLorean:
1. Workshop Manual.
Esential for learning how to repair things on the car.

2. Parts Catalogue.
When the Workshop Manual is too vague on descriptions of procedures on
how to disassemble/install components, the Parts Catalogue will pick up the
slack. A few times I've been left scratching my head about prepair
descriptions, and the Parts Catalogue has helped clear things up.

3. Internet Connection.
Although admittedly not always 100% accurate, and information can be
based off of opinion, the internet is a great resource of DeLorean information.
The DML archive is MASSIVE when it comes to sniffing out info on repair
procedures, upgrades, etc. And many DMLer's personal web pages also help
to add to the wealth of information. In many cases I have even found that
while reseaching issues/subjects on other cars has actually returned hits to
DeLorean related web pages on Google many of the times that I've searched.
(R134(a) conversion is a good example).

4. Inspiration.
Everyone needs that certain something to keep them going! Hang up a
picture to remind you of what your project is going to look like once complete,
or anything else that works for you. Me? When I get frustrated from working on
something on my car, I head inside and pop in my copy of either BTTF, or
Christine into the DVD player, relax, clear my head, and remind myself of why
I began this task in the first place.

If you do decide to get the car, then I wish you good luck, and honestly do
want you to succeed with your project!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"