Ticking sound from rear brakes

For the longest time (several years now), I am getting a ticking
sound from my rear brakes. It disappears when I apply brakes. Maybe
something is loose but when the car is idle it is soo difficult to
check for sounds that are only there when you drive the car. Before I
yank off the wheels and wiggle each brake component, is there anybody
out there that can nail this one right on the head for me so I do not
have to fiddle with it for hours, guessing my way to a solution!!
Bye
John"E".