Re: Ticking sound from rear brakes

You can jack up the rear of the car, take the wheels off and put into
gear to spin the rear wheels looking for the noise. It will be either
the c/v joints or the brake pads. If it is the c/v joints they will
have to be disassembled, cleaned, inspected for wear, reassembled,
lubed and reinstalled. Look the rubber boots on the joints over
carefully for any cuts, tears, or holes. If a boot is cut it should be
replaced immediatly! A boot is a whole lot cheaper than a joint! If it
is the brake pads you have what is known as "threading". This is a
condition where the pads follow the rotor like a phonogragh needle,
rising and falling as the rotor turns and clicking as they fall. The
cure is to roughen up the surface of the rotor to break the pattern,
it might require cutting the rotor to do it. Often you can scuff the
surface enough with an electric drill and a 3" pad with 80# sandpaper.
Also break the glaze on the pads with a light sanding. New anti-squeal
shims might also help and you might have to replace the pins if they
are worn thin. If the pads are very worn just replace them. The
venders sell a brake kit that includes the pads and all of the
hardware you will need.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757