Re: Lambda sensor removal...

There are many other things to check before you go after the O2
sensor. There can be NO vacuum leaks. If it has been a long time do a
COMPLETE tune-up with CORRECT parts. If it's been 30,000 miles since
the last time (or more!) check the valve adjustments. Have the fuel
injectors cleaned and tested. Make sure the 3 brass screws are closed
and the idle motor and micro are working. If the frequency valve is
buzzing then the O2 sensor is probably good enough for idling. For a
complete description of the Lambda circuit and diagnostic procedures
refer to the Workshop Manual. To adjust the mixture with a DWELL meter
it has to be an old analog (needle) type. The newer digital display
type meters won't be able to read the fluctuating voltage. Don't try
to fix the idle by twiddling the mixture screw. Just make sure there
is a plug in the housing over it and it isn't leaking. A properly
set-up and operating PRV won't run right without the lambda system, it
adds a little fuel to make the air-fuel ratio correct. With a dead O2
sensor the Lambda will revert (fallback) to a fixed value. The big
symptom would be a loss of power and terrible acceleration. It is even
worse if the Lambda system is dead completely.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757