Lambda sensor removal...

This weekend I tried to perform the lambda sensor removal/bypass as
explained in the DMCnews tech section in the article by Knut. Well I
hooked up the voltmeter, but the numbers constantly fluctuate and
they never stabilize enough to make any accurate adjustments. My car
has idled crazy ever since I've owned it. Could this be a bad sensor?

Also, what exactly is the circuit operation with the lambda sensor
unhooked? The computer will recieve no signal, so what will the
frequency valve do, and with the lambda gone, is the freq valve
necessary?

thanks,
Adam 16683