Re: Rear ended and insurance

This accident brings up a very important issue for anyone using a
Delorean as a "daily driver". If you are using "ordinary" insurance
and you get hit the insurance company will compare the cost of repair
with the "value" of the car. If in their opinion the car is worth say
$10,000 (and the policy gives them the ability to set this in some
cases) and the damage is within 80% of the total value of the car (in
this case $8,000) then you might face the prospect of getting $10,000
less the deductible and losing the car!
All Delorean owners who use their car for daily driving should be
familiar with the terms of their policy and the potential
circumstances that could total their car. It is very important to have
an agreed upon value of the car. Don't find out too late that the
insurance company can set the value after the fact, it is too late.
What may be a low cost way to insure your car now can become expensive
if you ever really need it. You should also understand the conditions
under which the repair shop is picked, and rates, if used parts must
be used in the repair, etc. Since rules vary from State to State it is
up to each owner to be familiar with the rules as they apply to them.
Don't wait until the worst happens and find out it can get worse, call
your broker now and find out before it is too late. Also sometimes
some companies give discounts for certain things like if the car is
always garaged, if there is an alarm installed, etc so be sure to have
a long talk with your broker and learn as much as you can BEFORE you
have a claim and then they explain all the fine print you didn't care
about. For anyone cheating on limited mileage if the car has too much
mileage at the time of a total you could find your entire claim
invalidated. If say you are allowed 2,500 miles a year and you started
with 10,000 miles and 2 years later the odometer read 18,000 the claim
would be disallowed on the basis you did not abide by the terms of
your policy.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas@xxxx>"