What is in a value?

I recently posted my DeLorean on E-bay. I don't want to sell it,
but since I lost my job, I have no other choice. This car is in
fantastic shape and I have done alot of work to make it a daily
driver. I constantly hear talk that the Delorean will be worth alot
more in a few years and that a decent car today should go for around
$18,000. So why can't I sell if for even $14,500? DMCH would only
give me $10,000 for the car (the price they pay for all cars), and
over the years I have spent nearly $4,000 with them alone. If I
total the car my insurance company will pay me $21,600 for it. I
know the thread of the car's value has been discussed to death. But
my main point is why do the major Delorean players charge so much
for a refurbished Delorean (Delorean one wanting $50,000) and then
trying to back it up by stating that these cars are unique and can
command such a high value. But when you try to sell them one they
tell you that it is hard for them to justify paying good money for
your car and that a figure like $10,000 is fair. So if my car is in
great shape what would a $9,000 look like? So what should I
do....wrap the car around a tree or part it out? I clearly won't
give the satisfaction to anyone who will bamboozle me and give me
nearly nothing for it and then turn around and make a hefty return
on a car that only needs new tires and a tune up.