Re: 3 different hoods

There were several reasons for the changes. The hood would get
scratched when you filled up with gas. A manufacturer always wants
some distinction between model years. The ridges in the hood were not
needed for ridgity. Probably the single biggest reason though is
"parts count". The Holy Grail in manufacturing is to reduce parts
count. For every part you can remove from the car you save the price
of the part, weight, inventory, less venders, labor to install, and
warrenty issues. This is how people get promoted, by figuring out ways
to make the car simpler or finding multiple uses for parts. Did you
ever wonder why the plate under the "T" roof fits so weird and is
taped down? Next time you look at it compare it to the plate by the
lock for the engine cover. Another fertile area is left-right
symmetry. Many of the parts can be reversed and used on both sides so
you don't have special left-right parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757