Re: Torsion bar stuck to retainer

If I understand Dave Swingle, your problem likely was hex tool not
seated completely in retainer (obviously came loose once -- lucky you
didn't crack the back window too). If tool is not fully seated, will
distort splined end of torsion bar just enough to lock into retainer.
Fellow I travelled with had same problem. Dave was able to slowly rock
it off with small pry bars on either side of retainer (where bolts
attach to the car).

To avoid this, he repeatedly raps the hex tool into the retainer with
a hammer throughout the whole procedure.

Torsion bar will also freeze into receptacle at front of car -- have
to use same hex tool in the other direction to literally "crack" free.

Note that over torqued torsion bars will tear the metal plate over the
back window loose from the car and distort it. Our cars have precious
little metal in them to begin with -- don't want to mangle what's there.

I watched Dave's every step. I understood everything he did. And I'm
still not going to attempt the procedure myself. Perhaps one day, but
not now. If there's a club or *able* mechanic within any sort of
driving distance, I again recommend making the trip, even if it's an
overnight.

Add to the list of things you can tear up: the torsion bars themselves
(apparently even a minute scrape will magnify into a major fracture
under their stress).

Bill Robertson