Re: [DML] Recommendation: Torsion bar adjustment

Re: [DML] Recommendation: Torsion bar adjustment

In some cases the anchor bracket is very tight on the splines. It can
be carefully and slowly worked off. After removal try for fit on the
other torsion bar. If it fits nicely then file the splines on the
tight torsion bar. If it doesn't fit file the splines on the bracket.
Either way the bracket should slide on easily. Also inspect the head
of the torsion bar inside the allen head. Sometimes the bar can split
causing the head to expand during adjustment making removal of the
anchor bracket very difficult. You can strike the torsion bar on the
ends if required to work the bracket off. Use a plastic or rubber
hammer or block of wood. This is where a mechanic can really earn his
pay! Sometimes what seems like a really easy little job turns into a
nightmare! Another thing that can go really wrong is when one of the
bolts holding the anchor bracket is stripped. Without the proper tools
and an assistant you can really get in deep on this one!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

http://groups.yahoo.